Chief Alchemist - Business Consulting For The 21st Century Via A Holistic & Intelligent Approach
Share ChiefAlchemist.com. RSS 2.0 feed for ChiefAlchemist.com. Sign up for the mailing list. Follow Chief Alchemist on Twitter. 'Like' the Chief Alchemist's page on Facebook. See what Chief Alchemist has been Q&A'ing on Quora. Chief Alchemist bookmarks & highlights on Diigo.com. Follow the Chief Alchemist on Digg.com. Chief Alchemist channel on Last.fm. Chief Alchemist on Flickr. Mark 'Chief Alchemist' Simchock on LinkedIn. Free Initial Consultation. Email Chief Alchemist. Phone Chief Alchemist.
  • Mark ‘Chief Alchemist’ Simchock
  • 'Email me.Email => ca .at. ChiefAlchemist .dot. com
  • 'Phone me.Alchemy United => 732 997-0028
  •  
  • Free initial consultation.Free => Initial Consultation
  • Please be sure to subscribe to your communication channels of choice.
  • Click To Close => The small green (consultation), red (email) or blue (phone) icons in the top upper right.
CURRENT “TOP 10” TOPICS TOOLS CLIENTS & PROJECTS SOURCES SEARCH HIDE
Business Consulting For The 21st Century Via A Holistic & Intelligent Approach

Agile and change as a constant

Consumed => “Agile Web Development That Works” by Jason Mark on Six Revisions.

http://sixrevisions.com/web-development/agile

=> My value add (i.e., left a comment)…

Thanks Jason. Good stuff.

Actually, I think agile is a process, and an endless and micro-iterative one at that. I enjoyed your article but if I had one wish I would wish that you explored in more depth how the end tools (i.e., CSS, CMS, Analytics, etc.) have enabled – if not necessitated – a more agile approach.

For me the key is to grasp 80% of the biz needs and going forward vision. The remaining 20% are forever part of what should be the ongoing evolution of an internet based property. And of course there’s also the issue of the market forever morphing.

The other key for me is first starting with The Why. Once The Why is understood (at an 80% or more level of confidence) then move on to The What. It seems that many of the pre-agile tools was overly focused on The What, and too often that was too debatable (i.e., stakeholders, meeting, time suck, etc.). Shifting the emphasis to The Why not only leads to swifter agreement but then there is also proper context for The What.

The unfortunate part of asking why is that you are greeted with an above average number of glossy-eyed stares. When “I want the site to…” is met with “Why?” wants are finally replaced with needs. That’s a critical and major difference. There a plenty of sites where the wants were met and the business needs missed.

I also think it’s worth mentioned that agile is not just for web design and web development. Agile works for just about any project or effort that allows a given X to be refined, adjusted, tweaked, etc. The idea is to get something in play, find the weaknesses, and keep improving. In many ways agile is the opposite of planning paralysis. Agile is also more reflective of reality. That is, change is constant.

Required.
Will not be published. Required.
Please include http://